Patrons and taste buds are jumping for joy as our own Edgar’s Bistro celebrated the debut of its new summer menu on July 18. The rotating lunch and dinner menu is chosen by Helms College culinary students and staff each academic quarter, adding pizzazz to the Macon restaurant scene. By now you may have visited our own little slice of heaven located right here on our Macon campus, but in case you haven’t we are giving you a special “peek” at one of the dishes featured on our dinner menu: Snapper & Mango Chutney.
Ingredients — Mango Snapper as featured on Edgar’s Bistro Summer 2016 Dinner Menu:
- 1-½ cup small diced mango
- ¼ cup small diced red onion
- ¼ cup small diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup rough chopped cilantro (stem removed)
- 1 minced jalapeno (seeded & deveined)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Dash of kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 2 skin-on red snapper filet
Directions for Mango Chutney
- In a small bowl, stir together minced jalapeno and lime juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the diced mango, red onion, cilantro, and red bell pepper.
- Combine both bowls and incorporate fully.
- Season with salt and additional lime juice.
- Using a sharp knife score the skin of the snapper in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut the flesh.
- Rub the fish with oil and season lightly with grated ginger, salt & pepper.
- Turn broiler to high and allow to heat fully.
- Put the fish on a sheet tray and place in hot broiler until light browning on edges of skin occurs and fish becomes fork-tender.
- Serve over jasmine rice with chutney, lime wedge, and additional cilantro for garnish.
Treat yourself to lunch or dinner at the place that has all of Macon buzzing!
Edgar’s Bistro is located at the Helms College Macon Campus, 5171 Eisenhower Parkway, and is open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. for lunch and Tuesday through Friday from 6 p.m.until 9 p.m. for dinner.
Look for more taste-tempting recipes from the staff and students at Helms College in future newsletters, too! Imagine the doors you could open with a culinary education from Helms College. We have two campuses serving the Middle Georgia and CSRA region: the Augusta School of Hospitality and the Polly Long Denton School of Hospitality. Visit the Helms College website today to learn more today!